Useful Links for Understanding the Arab-Israeli Conflict
- The October 1973 war in map
- The Gaza Strip. Neat detailed satellite image of the Strip.
- The Palestinian Authority: Areas A, B & C. A helpful map.
- Palestine Urban Centers. In some cases, includes street maps and satellite imagery (from GlobalSecurity.org)
- The Sharon government security fence; finished and projected Controversial: is it a security fence or an Israeli land grab? (Requires Adobe Acrobat; source: PASSIA.org)
- Series of maps on Security Fence/Wall
Plans for a 2-State Solution: The RAND Palestine Project
- The Arc: A Formal Structure for a Palestinian State (2007; RAND Corporation)
- Building A Successful Palestinian State
- Building A Successful Palestinian State: Security
- "Camp David: A Tragedy of Errors" by Robert Malley and Hussein Agha, in The New York Review of Books. A completely different "take" on what happened in the Camp David negotiations of July 2000. Very controversial, but worth reading.
- Camp David and After: An Exchange Back and forth between Benny Morris, and Robert Malley and Hussein Agha, concerning the Camp David 2000 negotiations
- "Peace? No Chance" by Benny Morris, in the Guardian, February, 2002. Noted "New" historian who teaches at Ben-Gurion University. Another controversial article.
- "Arafat's War" by Fouad Ajami, WSJ, March 29, 2002.
- "Suicidal Lies" by Thomas Friedman, NYT, March 31, 2002.
- "Immortal Heroes of Jenin" by Uri Avnery, The Guardian, April 16, 2002. An Israeli leftist's perspective on the battle of Jenin of March, 2002.
- Appeal By Palestinian Intellectuals to Stop Suicide Bombing June, 2002.
- Avraham Burg on the Failed Society of Israel August 2003. Former head of Jewish Agency, current Labour MK, describes Israel as a failed society.
Crucial Diplomatic Documents & Sites
- Documents of the Oslo Peace Process includes Oslo, Oslo II, Wye River Memorandum, Hebron Redeployment, Camp David Accords of 1978 (site maintained by Israeli embassy)
- The Beilin-Abu Mazen document Released in October 1995, this document was negotiated by Yossi Beilin (at the time, an Israeli cabinet minister) and Mahmud Abbas (Abu Mazen; at the time, key PLO official and would become first Prime Minister of PNA in 2003). Laid out a settlement which is similar to the Geneva Accord of October 2003 (see below).
- The EU non-paper A very interesting document, it represents the European Union's diplomatic understanding of what was and was not achieved at the Taba negotiations of January, 2001 -- the last round of Oslo-based negotiations between Israel and the PNA.
- The Quartet Road Map Accepted by Israeli & Palestinian side at Aqaba Conference, June 3, 2003. Sponsored by US, Russia, EU, and UN (the "Quartet").
- The Geneva Accord Text as released to Ha'aretz of the 44-page accord negotiated by Yossi Beilin (now a private citizen) and Yassir Abd Rabbo; announced October, 2003.
- Historical Documents Related to the Conflict from Ariga, a private Israeli peace web site
- U.S. Embassy, Israel Official site (Tel Aviv)
- U.S. Consulate General, Jerusalem Responsible for U.S. diplomatic contacts with the PNA
- Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs Official site (Jerusalem)
- Palestine National Authority Official site (Ramallah; unavailable)
- Haaretz Daily Newspaper in English Reliable independent reporting from Tel Aviv
- The Jerusalem Post Internet Edition not as good as Haaretz, but Israel's oldest English-language paper
- Palestine News Agency WAFA news agency, (Ramallah, Palestine National Authority)
- Ramattan News Agency (Gaza and Ramallah)
- The Jordan Times Amman
- Al-Ahram Weekly Online An English site from Egypt's most respected independent paper (Cairo)
- DEBKAfile "Insider" report from 2 former Economist journalists, based in Jerusalem (a bit flakey)
- The Electronic Intifada A Palestinian web site
- Arutz 7 The view from the Israeli right, sponsored by the settler movement
- CIA World Factbook
- West Bank
- Gaza Strip
- Library of Congress Country Studies
Current Military Operations
- Operation Shining Presence Ongoing deployment of US Patriot missile battery in Israel (part of USEUCOM)
Commands & General Links
- Israel Defense Force official web page of IDF (ha-Qiryah [Israel's Pentagon], Tel Aviv)
- USCENTCOM (MacDill AFB, Tampa, FL)
- DefenseLINK (DoD)